Sponsorships and donations
At Horne Smelter, we’re committed to helping our community grow. That’s why every year we support various events, projects, and organizations through our donation and sponsorship programs. As a responsible company, we are convinced that implementing promising, sustainable projects across several sectors of activity contributes directly to improving our fellow citizens’ quality of life.
Through our Community Partnership Program, we meet the needs of communities through donations and volunteer action.
Our Elder Committee, formed more than 20 years ago, consists of community representatives who advise Horne Smelter leadership on allocating funds to support projects that can benefit our community.
Horne Smelter focuses its donations on organizations working in the following areas:
- Arts and culture
- The economy and job creation
- Social and community development
- The environment and sustainable development
Education is a fundamental building block. That’s why we’re proud to support activities that help our kids learn and grow. A few examples:
- Purchase of computer equipment for Big Bang student radio
- A Mira Support Dog for a school
- D’iberville School Robotics Program
- After-school music workshops at Notre-Dame-de-Protection School in partnership with Centre musical En sol mineur
- Bursaries for students attending Université du Québec en Abitibi-Témiscamingue and Cégep de l’Abitibi-Témiscamingue
- Donations to Fondation du Cégep de l’Abitibi-Témiscamingue and Fondation de l’UQAT
- Library renovations for three schools: La Source, Sacré-Cœur, and D’iberville
- Stay-in-school initiative at École La Source
- Purchase of musical instruments for Rouyn-Noranda’s elementary schools
- A new playground for École Des Kékéko
Health is the most precious thing we have. We’ve helped improve health services by giving to several local organizations, including:
- Fondation Santé of Rouyn-Noranda’s CISSS (Centre intégré de santé et de services sociaux)
- Fondation Martin-Bradley pour la santé mentale
- Maison de l’Envol
Arts and culture play an essential role in Rouyn-Noranda. The Horne Smelter recognizes the importance of arts and culture by supporting local artists and organizations. Examples include the OSR Consortium, of which the Horne Smelter is a founding member, and Centre musical En sol mineur, which receives ongoing support. We are pleased to support a range of cultural organizations, activities, and events in Rouyn-Noranda. These include:
- Agora des arts
- Petit théâtre du Vieux-Noranda
- L’Écart.. lieu d’art actuel
- The Abitibi-Témiscamingue Regional Symphony Orchestra
- Jeunesses musicales Canada, Rouyn-Noranda chapter
We’re a significant driver of the local economy and help create new jobs. Over the years, we’ve contributed to the growth and development of companies that offer industrial services, such as transportation brokers and robotic demolition companies.
We encourage young people to stay in and come back to the region and we participate in job integration initiatives. We also buy local whenever we can and encourage our employees to do the same.
We support community organizations that help improve quality of life for people in Rouyn-Noranda. We have been involved in a number of initiatives to expand services to vulnerable groups. These include Ressource d’hébergement de Rouyn-Noranda, Maison répit dépannage Émile-Aurélie, and the construction of social housing units for persons with disabilities in collaboration with Les Intrepides de Rouyn-Noranda. We also help strengthen our communities by supporting:
- Ressourcerie Bernard-Hamel
- Alternative pour Elles
- Les Marginals
- Fondation Martin-Bradley
- La Maison du soleil levant
- Ressource pour personnes handicapées telethon
- United Way
- La Mosaïque, an association for intercultural dialogue and to welcome new immigrants to Abitibi-Témiscamingue
- Projet Jeunesse St-Michel
- Immaculée-Conception community kitchen
- Le Point d’appui
We’re committed to protecting the environment and conserving biodiversity and put sustainable development at the heart of all the projects we put in place. We support organizations looking to implement sustainable projects aimed at improving or protecting the environment. A few examples:
- A project to protect and enhance bird habitats, including for the Red-necked Grebe
- A pollinator garden developed in partnership with Mission Monarques and Ville de Rouyn-Noranda
- A species conservation plan for the Eastern Whip-poor-will developed by Conseil régional en environnement de l’Abitibi-Témiscamingue (CREAT)
- Urban gardens in collaboration with GECO
Submit a request to Community Partnership Program
The city of Rouyn-Noranda is well known for its thriving cultural scene, large-scale festivals, and sports teams. Because we’re among the largest employers in Rouyn-Noranda, we care about supporting regional events that enrich the lives of our employees and the citizens in our community.
Examples of partnerships and sponsorships include:
- Glencore Arena – Rouyn-Noranda Huskies
- Festival du cinéma international en Abitibi-Témiscamingue – Horne Smelter Youth Award
- Festival des guitares du monde en Abitibi-Témiscamingue
- Festival de musique émergente
- Festival pyromusical Osisko en lumière
At Horne Smelter, we recognize that the environment and sustainable development are issues with a growing impact on the people in our community. Education is also very important to us, because the young people attending school in our community are the next generation of the labour force. With this in mind, we decided to launch the Eco-Smelter Program.
The program, designed for the schools of the Centre de services scolaires de Rouyn-Noranda (CSSRN), supports CSSRN staff members in developing and implementing environmental and sustainable development projects.
Every year, Horne Smelter collects several tonnes of obsolete electronics through its official ARPE-Quebec depot. The funds raised from recycling these electronics are reinvested in the projects submitted.